Newspapers Were In Nearly Every Town In Montana
by Mike Stebleton
part 4 of 4
This is the last of the early-day newspapers in the Leader’s ’s 4-county area, with an explanation of how the town/city received its name:
Baylor (Named after one of the earlier settlers, Clarence W. Baylor, who trailed cattle up from Texas in the late 1880s spending time in Wyoming and Lewistown and in 1898 came to north east Montana to work on the McCallister horse ranch.) — The community south of Opheim had a newspaper called the Baylor World. .
Glasgow (Named for the city in Scotland by the GN.) — Glasgow’s newspaper history began on July 20, 1889, with the first edition of the Glasgow Herald, , which was two years after the railroad arrived. In 1890 the Glasgow Record was started, changed its name to the North Montana Review (1899-1909), changing again to the Glasgow Democrat and in 1911 changed to the Montana Citizen. . The Valley County News was started in 1892 and later switched its banner to the Valley County Gazette. . The Valley County Independent was born in 1912 and changed its name to the Glasgow Courier in August 1913 by Hocking who remained publisher for 45 years. Also in 1913 the second Glasgow Democrat
began publishing and in 1925 Gordon Vallandingham purchased the paper and changed the name to the Glasgow Times. . Other newspapers included the Glasgow Independent, ,
Glasgow Messenger and Glasgow News. .
Glentana (The original townsite was named by early settlers for a nearby glen, a secluded narrow valley, which combined with the last four letters of Montana gave the community its name. Old Glentana lasted from 1912-26 and moved to its present location when the GN expanded west from Scobey.) — Joseph A. Whetstone was the publisher of the Glenta...