75 Years Ago
Items taken from weekly issues 75 years ago, from the Daniels County Leader, est. 1922 (continuation of the Scobey Sentinel, est. 1912).
September 18, 1947
Basement Fire Threatens
School At Peerless–
There was no school in Peerless Tuesday, the school house was on fire. Volunteer townsmen, aided later by Scobey's chemical truck with Howard Hillstrom and Gordon Downing, were successful in saving the building and all contents except the coal.
Noticed about 6:30 that morning by Rudy Anderson, janitor, flames are believed to have started sometime during the night before by the exhaust from a gasoline powered light plant which ignited the supply of school coal in its basement bin.
Volunteers poured in
water from the town water tank and were able to get the flames under control. In addition to water from the
tank, Red Comet chemical
bombs in the amount ...