Posted on

‘Hit Them In Mouth’ Spartans Tame Simms Tigers By 36 Points


“Start fast, hit them in

the mouth,” Scobey head coach Brock Berryhill conveyed to his Spartans’ kickoff unit as it trotted onto the Simms High School football field for the opening boot of the ball on Saturday, October 30.

Both offenses did start fast as the Simms Tigers tallied on three of their four first-half offensive possessions and the Spartans 5-of-5.

The deciding factor of the game was in the second half where Scobey’s defense pitched a shutout — a major “hit them in the mouth” moment — while the offense tallied on 3-of-7 possessions to cruise to a 60-24 first-

round playoff win.

The victory sends Scobey (7-1, 364-145, 45.518.1) to Park City (8-1, 428-208, 47.5-23.1) for a 1 p.m. quarterfinal contest on Saturday, November 6 (see preview on page 8).

Simms (7-2, 398-245, 44.2-27.2), following a 22yard opening-kickoff return, set up offensive shop on its own 37-yard line and used nine rushes to score for an 8-0 lead.

Scobey didn’t waste much time responding when Zakariah Traeholt produced a 23-yard kickoff return to the Spartan 27 and then, on the initial offensive play from scrimmage, ripped off a 35-yard rush down to the 18. Four plays later the junior speedster crossed the goal line and Cole Taylor grabbed a 2-point pass from Boen Tande for an 8-all tally.

The Tigers responded with an 8-play, 43-yard

march making it 16-8. Scobey shot back with a 4-play, 51-yard possession

ending on a Colter Oie 21yard TD rush to close within 16-14.

On the ensuing kickoff the Simms returner didn’t want his knee to go too low to the field to grab the bouncing ball in fear of touching the ground. Stooped over, his foot made contact with the ball and bounced about four yards in front of him while Gage Hallock was coming in hot from the south and recovered the free ball at the Simms 20-yard line. Two plays later quarterback Boen Tande was in the end zone, Traeholt added the deuce and the Spartans led 22-16.

The Tigers, however, recovered from the miscue and marched 53 yards in nine plays to regain the lead at 24-22 with 4:41 to go until halftime.